Club History

Described by a member as “ very short, very rough, very wet and very dirty”, Shrewsbury Golf Club’s first course was at Hencote, to the North of the town, and boasted 46 members. The “Founding Father” was Wyndham Deedes, a local Headmaster. In 1892 the Club secured new grounds at Meole Brace, where a nine-hole course was laid out by Bill Lewis, a local professional.

In 1920 the Course was expanded to 18 holes and the membership rose to 375. A strong relationship with Shrewsbury School was also established and an annual match, The Prior Cup, still played to this day, was instituted between Club and School,
Between the Wars, the Club thrived and produced two outstanding golfers in Guy Darlington, who won the County Championship four times and the Club Championship 12 times, and Cyril Fairchild, who twice won the Welsh Amateur Championship and whose final County success was at the age of 60.

After the Second World War the Club again expanded and the course was redesigned by C K Cotton. A golf exhibition featured Peter Alliss, Max Faulkner and Dai Rees, and the new Billiards Room was opened by Fred Davis. By the late 60’s, however, construction of a new bypass forced the club to acquire Grange Farm at Condover, some 3 miles South of the Town where a new course was developed , opening in 1972. Since that time, the Club has expanded steadily, and the course has been enhanced by the planting of several thousand trees and the creation of 3 water hazards.

The Clubhouse too, has been redeveloped and a marquee added to accommodate larger functions. The Club was twinned with Largs Golf Club, with whom it shared a Centenary in 1991, and has produced a number of outstanding amateur golfers as well as the professional Scott Drummond, winner of the PGA trophy in 2004.